Where & When:
Saturday, Dec. 7, 2019 – Meet at the Prince of Wales Hotel (at the corner of Queen/Picton & King) in Olde Towne, Niagara on the Lake – 8:30am
Festivus is a secular holiday, normally celebrated on December 23rd. It was originally created by American author Daniel O’Keefe. O’Keefe created the day to commemorate his first date with his wife in 1966. The concept of Festivus was mainly meant as an alternative to the pressures and commercialization of the Christmas season.
The event was popularized by O’Keefe’s son, Daniel O’Keefe Jr, who was a writer on the Seinfeld television series. Festivus was featured in a Season 9 episode titled “The Strike”.
The theme of our 2019 Christmas Photo Walk, in Niagara on the Lake will be to exercise our creativity to capture our interpretation of the typical Festivus traditions, O’Keefe and Seinfeld versions, in a photographic challenge.
Seven Festivus Traditions
1) The symbolic Festivus Tree is uniquely different than a traditional XMAS Tree.
2) The O'Keefe Festivus had other uniques traditions, symbols and props.
3) There were no costumes for Festivus, however in the O’Keefe version hats were often worn.
4) Most of the Festivi in the O’Keefe family had a theme. One was, “Is there light at the end of the tunnel”.
5) In both the O’Keefe and Seinfeld versions there is a unique Festivus dinner.
6) In the Seinfeld Festivus, immediately following the Festivus Dinner, the “Airing of Grievances” takes place.
7) The Feats of Strength are the final tradition observed in the celebration of Festivus, celebrated immediately following the Festivus dinner and the Airing of Grievances.
Your Festivus "Artistic Director" (the “outings guy”) has crafted a photographic challenge for those interested in participating in this Festivus Photo Walk. If you are interested see the Artistic Director for the specific challenges.
For those interested we will conclude our walk at the Harp Irish Pub for lunch and refreshments.
Hope to see you there.